A prostate health check is required if you have:
- Urinary symptoms (hesitancy, poor flow, frequency, getting up at night to pass urine). Although these symptoms can be attributable to other issues it is important to have prostate check.
- Family history of prostate cancer, this would indicate an annual prostate check after the age of 40
- If you have a concern about prostate cancer.
A prostate health check includes the following:
- Assessment of urinary symptoms by a consultant urologist
- 20 minute consultation with consultant urologist including full medical history
- Digital rectal examination
- PSA blood test
If indicated further tests such as ultrasound scan or a multi parametric MRI of the prostate may also be required, which would be at an additional cost.
A prostate health check with Mr Maneesh Ghei costs £250 + hospital fees for PSA test (at the Wellington Hospital a PSA test costs approx £187).